Last Updated: March 2010
Photo Credit: Tony Norton
1. CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident, you are entitled to certain additional privacy protections. We will not disclose your personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) to any third-party for such third-party's direct marketing purposes if you request that we not do so. If you wish to request that we not provide your Personal Information to third-parties for direct marketing purposes, please send your written request to firstname.lastname@example.org or the California Wolf Center, P.O. Box 1389, Julian, CA 92036, Attn: Legal Department. Within 30 days of receiving your written request, we will stop providing your Personal Information to third-parties for direct marketing purposes. In addition, you may revise any of the Personal Information you have submitted to us by contacting us at the e-mail address or physical address set forth above.
2. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We do not collect any Personal Information from you unless you use a feature on our Site that requires you to submit Personal Information to us or one of our third-party partners that powers a feature on our Site. If that happens, you may be asked to submit your name, physical address, e-mail address, phone number, credit card number, other credit card information, and/or other similar information on the Site. The features on the Site that require you to submit Personal Information include, without limitation, donation processing, membership processing, reservation processing, merchandise purchasing, and signing up to receive our e-mail newsletter.
The Site will receive limited non-personally identifiable information that your browser makes available whenever you visit a website. This log information includes your IP address, browser type, browser language, operating system, and the domain name of the website from which you linked to our Site. This information is gathered from all Site visitors.
3. INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN
The Wolf Center does not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Information from anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not send any information about yourself to us. No one under the age of 13 may provide any Personal Information to the Wolf Center. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information from a child under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under the age of 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
We recommend that minors over the age of 13 ask their parents for permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet.
4. COOKIES AND WEB BEACONS
When you visit the Site, a small file known as a “cookie” that uniquely identifies your browser may be sent to your computer. Cookies that we use may only be read by the server that placed them there. We use session ID cookies to distinguish you from other visitors on our Site, but these cookies do not personally identify you or collect any information from you. Session ID cookies terminate once you close your browser. In addition, certain pages on the Site may include Web beacons, which are electronic files used to count users who have visited that page or to identify certain cookies on the computer accessing that page.
We may also use web analytics services provided by Google, Inc. and other third-parties to help us analyze how our users interact with the Site and to measure the effectiveness of our Site, including any advertising on the Site. Such web analytics service providers often use Web beacons and cookies to collect information such as your IP address, the number of visitors on our Site, the number of web pages viewed by our users, and other similar information. This information is transmitted to, and stored by, our web analytics service providers on their servers and used for the purpose of evaluating your use of the Site, compiling reports on website activity, and providing other services relating to we bsite activity and internet usage. This information helps us learn things like user preferences, how to improve our Site, and what kinds of offers our users like to see. Our web analytics service providers may also transfer this information to third-parties when required to do so by law, or when such third-parties process the information on their behalf. Our web analytics service providers will not associate your IP address with any other data held by them. By using this website, you consent to the processing of data about you by our web analytics service providers in the manner and for the purposes set forth above. For more information about Google Analytics' privacy practices, please visit http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacypolicy.html.
6. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information that we collect through our Site helps us to operate and develop our Site and better understand our users’ needs so that we can continually improve the Site. For example, we may use your information for the following reasons:
- To send you surveys, mail, or e-mail messages about Wolf Center projects, events, products, services, features on the Site, customer service issues, or promotions from us or any of our affiliates or partners.
- To process and respond to your questions and other inquiries.
- For the purposes for which you provided the information, such as processing credit cards, donations, memberships and renewals, and reservations for visits, programs or events, purchasing merchandise, and receiving information about any of our locations, programs, or events.
- To personalize the content and improve the navigability of the Site.
- To conduct surveys to measure your satisfaction with our Site.
Photo Credit: Kent Struble
Information collected from users may be used in aggregate form to, among other things, determine the total number of users on the Site and the demographics, interests, preferences, and behavior of those users, prepare utilization reports for our service partners, diagnose and fix compatibility problems or other problems with our Site, prepare for network load demands, administer the Site, and perform statistical analyses to enable us to build higher quality, more useful online services. In some cases, if you were redirected to the Site through a link on another website, the Wolf Center may be required, as part of our agreement with that website, to provide that website with aggregated data. In addition, when we institute polls or votes on the Site, we will associate your vote with your IP address so that we can assure that none of our members vote more than once.
7. WHEN WE DISCLOSE THE INFORMATION WE GATHER TO THIRD PARTIES
There are certain limited circumstances in which we may share certain user information with third-parties. For example:
- We may provide user information to service providers to help us bring you the services we offer. For example, we may use third-parties to (a) host the Site (or any portion thereof) or any databases containing user information at a co-location facility for servers, (b) send out e-mail updates about the Wolf Center and/or the Site, (c) remove repetitive information from our database, (d) process credit card payments and other forms of payments for products or services, or (e) answer your request for information. In connection with these offerings and business operations, our service providers may have access to your Personal Information for use for a limited time in connection with these business activities. When we utilize third-parties for the processing of any Personal Information, we implement reasonable contractual and technical protections limiting the use of that information for specified purposes.
- Some of the information we collect is provided, in aggregate form only, to our service partners solely for purposes of helping such service partners improve their services, not for the purposes of marketing to our users or members.
- If we choose at any time to include advertisements on the Site, we may provide to our Ad-Serving Partners non-personally identifiable information that you submit when you register with us as a member or that we collect as you interact with the Site (such as your IP address), but we would never provide those Ad-Serving Partners with any personally identifiable information about you. We would do this so that our Ad-Serving Partners can personalize advertisements and promotions for you.
- We may offer stores or provide services jointly with other companies on the Site. You can tell when another company is involved in any store or service provided on the Site, and we may share customer information with that company in connection with your use of that store or service.
- We may be required to disclose user information pursuant to lawful requests, such as subpoenas or court orders, or in compliance with applicable laws. However, we do not reveal information until we have a good faith belief that an information request by law enforcement or private litigants meets applicable legal standards. We may also share user information when we believe it is necessary to comply with law, to protect our legal rights, interests, or property, to protect the rights, property, or safety of our users or the public against harm, to prevent fraud or other illegal activity perpetrated through the Site or using the Wolf Center name, to prevent imminent bodily harm, or if we in good faith believe it is appropriate to cooperate in investigations of fraud or other illegal activity in which you may be involved (or are reasonably suspected to be involved), even without a subpoena, warrant or court order. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, agents or government agencies.
All third-parties to whom we disclose user information are obligated by applicable law to protect the privacy of certain information that we provide to them; however, we are not responsible for their actions or omissions, including the manner in which they use information that they receive from us. Nevertheless, if you feel that any of our partners, Ad-Serving Partners, or any third-party who claims association with the Wolf Center is improperly collecting or using information about you, we urge you to contact them directly and also to inform us by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIRD-PARTY PRACTICES
Certain features on our Site are powered by third-parties. To use those features, you may be required to submit information to such third-parties. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of such third-parties. In addition, any websites that you click to from the Site may have been developed by third-parties over which we exercise no control. Such websites may send their own cookies to users, collect data, or solicit personally identifiable information from you. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites, including such websites' use of any information collected when our users click through to such websites. Even though such information might not identify you personally, we strongly encourage you to become familiar with the privacy practices of those websites.
The Wolf Center will not request your user ID or any national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. However, the Wolf Center may e-mail or phone you for information necessary to process your credit card payment or respond to your request if you have not provided accurate or complete information through the Site. Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to the Wolf Center. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is our priority. For more information about phishing, you may want to visit the Federal Trade Commission's website at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt127.shtm.
You may opt-out of receiving e-mails from the Wolf Center by either making such election on the Site (if available) or by sending your written request to email@example.com or the California Wolf Center, P.O. Box 1389, Julian, CA 92036, Attn: Legal Department. Within 30 days of receiving your written request, we will not send you any additional e-mails. Under no circumstances will the Wolf Center have any liability for sending any non-commercial communications to you, including e-mail communications. Users may not opt-out of receiving announcements that contain important information about the Wolf Center or the Site. If you wish to stop receiving all communications from the Wolf Center, your sole and exclusive remedies are to notify us by phone, mail, or e-mail that you wish to stop all communication and to not provide us with your contact information in the future.
12. CONTACTING THE CALIFORNIA WOLF CENTER